Skip to content

Personal Incidental Expenses – know what you can claim


    Make sure you claim your Personal Incidental Expenses(PIE’s) while working away from home.

    Personal Incidental Expenses are amounts that can be claimed from your company whilst you are away from home on business. For travel within the UK, you may claim £5 per night to cover personal incidental expenses incurred, when you have an overnight stay. This increases to £10 per day when travelling outside of the UK. Examples of incidental expense may be telephone calls, newspapers, and laundry etc. – i.e. small incidental items where you may not have a receipt. Please note that these amounts are non-taxable up to those values.

    Personal Incidental Expenses are payments over and above the normal travel expenses, you incur whilst away on business, such as your hotel bill, food costs or taxi fares and so it is always worth claiming them.

    It is worth noting that receipts are not required to claim your personal incidental expenses as long as it is within the maximum allowable amount, noted above. If your expenses are above these limits then they may need to be reported on your P11D and it should be noted that the whole payment becomes taxable not just the excess.

    If you have any questions or would like to learn more about the above then please do not hesitate to contact us by email at or by phone on 01224 748 298.